On Friday we hosted our first workshop with the youth and mentors from the Roots Village Project. We had a great time! We did a cooking workshop and demonstrated how to use 5 simple ingredients to make 3 different dishes: bruschetta, pasta and salad (see below for recipes). Next week we will be hosting the youth and mentors again however, we will be working on art for our big, upcoming art show on Thursday June 7th with Roots. Stay tuned for more details!
8 diagonal slices of baguette
1 clove of garlic, halved
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat the broiler.
2. Brush the bread with Olive Oil.
3. Grill the bread slices until lightly toasted.
4. Rub the warm slices of bread with the cut side of the garlic.
3 very red medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon of sliced fresh basil
1 tablespoon olive oil
Handful of grated parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper.
1. Combine the tomatoes, basil and olive oil in a bowl and then add the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
2. Using a spoon spread the mixture over the crostini.
Pasta with Arugula, Lemon, Olive Oil and Herbs
1 package of pasta (preferably whole wheat, rigatoni, penne or fusilli)
Fresh Lemon Juice from Half a Lemon
3 big handfuls of Arugula
1 cup of parmesan cheese
1 handful fresh basil
4 tablespoons of olive oil
3 tablespoons of toasted Pine Nuts (or pumpkin seeds) optional
1. Boil water in a medium saucepan and add pasta to boiling water, to prevent pasta from sticking add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to pasta and stir. Boil until desired firmness of pasta is reached.
2. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water. Returned rinsed pasta to saucepan.
3. Add Arugula and mix in until arugula begins to wilt.
4. Add basil, lemon juice, cheese and pine nuts (if desired), stir until combined.
5. Season with salt and pepper.