This past weekend we hosted a mermaid themed birthday party for a little girl and thought we would share some of our ideas with you, in case you want to host your very own mermaid party! We did a craft and some baking. The baking part was really easy, first the kids made cupcakes.
They coloured icing blue and then made mermaid tails out of fondant (they also coloured the fondant either purple or green for their tails). The craft was easy but had just a few more steps, see below for detailed instructions. The craft materials were all purchased from the good ol’ dollar store, except the acetate for the window (which was purchased from a craft store).
2 blue paper plates
Under the Sea Foam Shapes
Fake green plant
Clear Acetate (or cellophane)
- Cut out a hole in one plate and then paint the outside of the plate silver. Do this step first as the paint will dry while you’re finishing the other steps.
- Scrunch up little pieces of aluminum foil to make the balls for the porthole. Glue them to the plate using hot glue (once your silver paint has dried).
- To make the mermaid, use markers to draw her face and dress. Then cut out a tail from the sparkly foam and stick it between the clothespin. Glue some yarn on for her hair.
- Decorate the other blue plate with sand and foam stickers, glue in your seaweed using the hot glue.
- Glue the mermaid to the blue plate using the hot glue.
- Once the silver plate is dried, flip it over and glue in the piece of acetate.